As Lee County works to widen Corkscrew Road through Estero, the county is already planning for future widening projects to accommodate the thousands of new residents expected along East Corkscrew Road. Simultaneously, the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) is planning for the eventual widening of I-75 from Golden Gate Parkway in Naples to Bayshore Road in North Fort Myers.
East Corkscrew Road Update:
Phase 1 is now underway with completion scheduled for early 2024. The project includes:
• Widening to six lanes from Ben Hill Griffin Parkway to Firehouse Lane
• Widening to four lanes from Firehouse Lane to Bella Terra
Phase 2: Starting late 2023
• Widening to four lanes from Bella Terra to Alico Road
• Completion in 2025/2026
Phase 3: Starting 2031
• Widening to four lanes from Alico Road to Verdana Village
• Completion in 2035
Phase 4: Schedule TBD
• Widening to four lanes from Verdana Village to Kingston
Additionally, Corkscrew Road will be widened to six lanes west of I-75 to Three Oaks Parkway. That project is scheduled to begin in 2024.
Interstate 75 Southwest Connect Project
FDOT is working on four separate corridor master plans for I-75 and I-4. The goal of these plans is to improve mobility and provide transportation improvements to support the region’s economic development.
• The South Corridor — running from Naples’ Golden Gate Parkway up to Bayshore Road in North Fort Myers— will most directly impact residents of Estero and Lee County.
•Preliminary study results indicate I-75 north and south of Corkscrew Road will reach capacity in 2029 and 2028, respectively.
•To increase road capacity, FDOT is currently proposing two roadway sections.
• South of Corkscrew Road: four lanes in each direction plus auxiliary lanes where applicable.
• North of Corkscrew Road: Three local lanes and two express lanes in each direction, plus auxiliary lanes where applicable.
The master plan is expected to be finalized in summer 2023.
More information is available online at https://www.swflinterstates.com/i75-south-corridor/
To receive the latest information about Village projects and community activities, go to the Village website and subscribe at estero-fl.gov.