The Village of Estero will continue to put a major emphasis on capital projects in the upcoming fiscal year 2023/2024 budget. Quality of life, beautification, bicycle/pedestrian safety, traffic improvements, park improvements, utility improvements, and information technology improvements are expected to be a focus of the Village’s budget.
Each year as part of the budget process, Village staff develops a preliminary capital improvement plan (CIP). This budget is based on public input and implementation of the Village Council’s vision. The council reviews and provides formal input and direction on the capital improvement budget at one workshop and two public hearings.
The workshop will be held on Wed., May 17. The public hearings will be held on Wed., June 7, and Wed., June 21. All meetings will be held at 9:30 a.m. in the Village Council Chambers at 9401 Corkscrew Palms Circle.
Some of the potential highlights in the upcoming fiscal year budget for capital improvement include:
- Utility Extension Projects – Several projects to connect residents to central water and sewer to better protect water resources.
- Estero on the River – Install paths, a pedestrian bridge, parking and a restroom for residents to use the publicly owned property.
- Sandy Lane and Broadway Avenue East – Bicycle and pedestrian improvements in an area that currently had no sidewalks or bicycle facilities.
- Williams Road – Improve pedestrian safety and traffic flow.
- Corkscrew Road – Install paths, landscaping and street lighting.
- Estero River North Branch Drainage Improvements – Improve drainage along the north branch of the Estero River to reduce the potential of future flooding.
As the Village’s overall FY 2023/2024 budget process moves forward, and as new opportunities arise, the CIP will be finalized and presented for final approval in September. The Village’s new fiscal year begins on October 1, 2023.