Hurricane season is now upon us and runs through November 30. It is important for residents to be mindful of ways to protect themselves and their families in the event of hurricane or tropical storm activity affecting our area. Everyone should make an emergency supply kit and create a family emergency plan BEFORE a storm is approaching.
- Find your evacuation zone and other disaster prep information (including a Family Emergency Plan) at: leegov.com/publicsafety/emergencymanagement.
- View and download Lee County’s All Hazards Guide online or request a printed copy by calling (239)533-0622. This document is packed with useful information pertaining to all types of emergencies: hurricanes/tropical storms, flooding events, lightning storms, tornadoes, wildfires, acts of terrorism and more. The All Hazards Guide also includes generator safety precautions, a map of evacuation zones, a list of shelters and contact information for Lee County emergency service agencies.
Sign Up for Emergency Alerts
- Register for email alerts on the Village of Estero website: https://estero-fl.gov/
- Get the LeePrepares app on Google Play or the App Store.
- Sign up for AlertLee at: http://www.alertlee.com
- Sign up even if you are only here seasonally… it is important to stay informed!
- Residents will receive personalized messages for Estero!
- You may enter multiple phone numbers and emails for maximum protection.
- Sign up for all weather notifications!
Prepare an Emergency Supply Kit
- Everyone should have an emergency supply kit with enough supplies to last at least three days without power.
- Personal Items: bedding, clothing, rain gear, hygiene products, medications, etc.
- Food Service Needs: drinking water, nonperishable food, manual can opener, lighter/matches, outdoor camp stove or grill (with fuel), cooler, etc.
- Miscellaneous Items: spare keys, important papers, keepsakes, cash/credit cards, maps/evacuation info, etc.
- Basic Safety Equipment: weather radio, first aid kit, battery powered radio, flashlights, whistle, etc.
- Basic Tools: hammer, pliers, screwdrivers, basic hardware, tarps, duct tape, work gloves, etc.
- Sanitation/Clean Up Supplies: bleach, other cleaners, water, rubber gloves, broom, mop, rags, garbage bags, buckets, toilet paper, wet wipes, hand sanitizer, etc.
- Pet Needs: water, carrier, food, comfort items, cleanup supplies, identification/immunization records, photos (in case of separation).
Make a Plan & Practice It
- Know your zone and determine other risk factors of your residence (homes in flood zones, manufactured homes and older homes are at greater risk).
- Prepare several evacuation and sheltering options for your family.
- Secure items in and around your home before tropical storm force winds arrive.
- Estero Fire Rescue will have sandbags available for those who need them.
- Take photos of your home’s interior belongings.
- Be sure all family members know who to call and where to gather if separated.
- Inform family and friends in other locations about your evacuation plans.
- If you have special medical needs, or need transportation assistance, register with Lee County’s Special Needs Program: Call (239)533-0640 or register online at leegov.com/publicsafety/emergencymanagement.