As we approach the end of the year, there is much to celebrate in the Village of Estero! Here are some highlights from the Village’s many accomplishments in 2019.
Keeping Taxes Low & Reserves High
For Fiscal Year 2019-20, the Village of Estero lowered its tax rate to 0.7726 mills, which is the lowest tax rate of any municipality in Southwest Florida. While keeping taxes low, the Village also plans to increase its reserves by 9.2 percent. This means Estero will have a notable “safety net” of 12 months of operating expenses. Adding to the Village’s excellent fiscal health, full reimbursement has been received for expenses related to Hurricane Irma.
Capital Improvement Projects
There are several notable projects currently underway within the Village:
- Corkscrew Road & I-75 Interchange Improvements by FDOT
- S. 41 Median Landscaping
- Estero Parkway Improvements & Landscaping
Stormwater Master Plan
The Village of Estero’s first Stormwater Master Plan represents the completion of a more than two-year long process to improve our understanding of how stormwater functions within and surrounding Estero. As a result, several projects have been completed in 2019 to improve water flow and drainage throughout the Village.
Parks, Recreation and Open Space Master Plan
Several notable projects have been undertaken as a result of the Village’s first Parks, Recreation and Open Space Master Plan:
- New pedestrian pathways and bike lanes along Estero Parkway
- Acquisition of the Estero River property north of Corkscrew Road for preservation of river frontage
- Collaboration with Lee County Public School District on projects to improve community education & recreation
Improved Customer Service
The Village of Estero website, www.estero-fl.gov, now features an easy-to-use, all-inclusive, online system for customer efficiency. Services available on this user-friendly system include:
- Applying for a building permit
- Requesting a rezoning
- Seeking a public record
- Getting help with a drainage, road or landscaping issue
- Providing a general comment
New Flood Maps
You may have been able to save money on your homeowners insurance this year, thanks to newly updated FEMA flood zone maps. Access flood map information about any property in the Village of Estero by going to: http://estero-fl.gov/flood-insurance-is-important-for-all.