Hurricane season is now upon us. It began June 1 and runs through November 30 with tropical storm activity typically peaking between August and October. We all hope Southwest Florida avoids any hurricane activity, but it’s important to be prepared. Make an emergency supply kit and create a family emergency plan BEFORE a storm is approaching.
- Find your evacuation zone and other disaster prep information (including a Family Emergency Plan) at: leegov.com/publicsafety/emergencymanagement
- View and download Lee County’s All Hazards Guide online or request a printed copy by calling (239)533-0622. This document is packed with useful information pertaining to all types of emergencies: hurricanes/tropical storms, flooding events, lightning storms, tornadoes, wildfires, acts of terrorism and more. The All Hazards Guide also includes generator safety precautions, a map of evacuation zones, and contact information for Lee County emergency service agencies.
Sign Up for Emergency Alerts
- Register on the Village of Estero website homepage:https://estero-fl.gov/
- Get the LeePrepares app on Google Play or the App Store
- Sign up for AlertLee (formerly CodeRed) at: http://www.leegov.com/publicsafety/LeeAlert/alertsignup
- Sign up even if you are only here seasonally… it is important to stay informed!
- The registration form will look different on your computer and phone… complete it using the technology easiest for you!
- Choose Estero as your City… you will receive personalized messages as an Estero resident!
- Enter all phone numbers and emails… it doesn’t cost any extra!
- Sign-up for all weather notifications… all information is helpful in an emergency!
Prepare an Emergency Supply Kit
- Personal Items: bedding, clothing, rain gear, hygiene products, medications, etc.
- Food Service needs: drinking water, nonperishable food, manual can opener, lighter/matches, outdoor camp stove or grill (with fuel), cooler, etc.
- Miscellaneous items: spare keys, important papers, keepsakes, cash/credit cards, maps/evacuation info, etc.
- Basic Safety Equipment: weather radio, first aid kit, battery powered radio, flashlights, etc.
- Basic Tools: hammer, pliers, screwdrivers, basic hardware, tarps, duct tape, work gloves, etc.
- Sanitation/Clean Up Supplies: bleach, other cleaners, water, rubber gloves, broom, mop, rags, garbage bags, buckets, toilet paper, wet wipes, etc.
- Pet Needs: water, carrier, food, comfort items, cleanup supplies, identification/immunization records, photos (in case of separation)
Make a Plan & Practice It
- Know your Zone & determine other risk factors of your residence (homes in flood zones, manufactured homes, and older homes are at greater risk).
- Prepare evacuation and sheltering options for your family.
- Secure items in and around your home before tropical storm force winds arrive.
- Take photos of your home’s interior belongings.
- Be sure all family members know who to call and where to gather if you become separated.
- Inform family and friends in other locations about your evacuation plans.
- If you have special medical needs, or need transportation assistance, register with Lee County’s Special Needs Program: Call (239)533-0640 or register online at leegov.com/publicsafety/emergencymanagement